This little dalmatian town located on Makarska Riviera will leave you in awe with it's 4 km long beach and beautiful natural surroundings.
Tučepi is an old town located in central Dalmatia. The name of the town, which can be traced to its Illyrian origins, is witness to its long history which goes back 4000 years. The preserved Early Illyrian elements prove that the name Tučepi in Albanian means village next to the spring (water).
Many archaeological findings are witness to the existence of the town during the Illyrian period, such as:
The most famous monuments of Tučepi are its churches. Tučepi has always had and still has many churches and chapels, some of which are no longer standing with only some remains being visible.
- Stele (tombstones) with inscriptions
- skeleton graves
- various burial items
- fragments of ceramic vessels
- iron spear
- numerous epigraphic monuments
At a prehistoric site on the very top of Sutvid are the foundations of St Vitus’s church. It is believed that the Croats, when settling here in the 7th century, used this location as a worship site for their god Svevid. After they were Christianised, they turned the temple into a Catholic church.
- Parish church of St Anthony of Padua (dating from 1901) was built in the Classicist style with a marble interior and baroque altars, which were brought from the old parish church.
- The Church of the Nativity of Our Lady (dating from 1703) is a one-nave church with all the characteristics of Dalmatian provincial Baroque. When the church was dismantled in 1962, architectural decorations from an Early Christian church were found in the foundations (dating from the 5th or 6th century). In front of the western face, there are four mediaeval plates with relief decorations typical of that age: they depict a sword with armour and a rose or crescent, and a cross over the entire plate.
- The church of St George was built in 1311 and still stands as an example of a Romanesque-Gothic one-nave structure with a semi-circular apsis. The interior holds preserved illustrated devotional crosses. The site has preserved several phases of development: early imperial villa rustica dating from the 1st and 2nd centuries, an oratory from the late ancient Roman period, mediaeval church and necropolis and a part of the later southern extension - convent. There is also a 1st century stele on the site, and this stele is considered to be the earliest sepulchral monument on the Makarska Riviera.
- Tradition has it that the St Anthony parish church was built where St Roch’s Church stands today, above the old parish house (dating from 1730), in 1602. The church was renovated several times, but was ruined in the 1891 fire. St Roch’s Church was built in 1924 on the foundations of the parish church built here in 1602.
- St Catherine’s Church (dating from 1541), above the Šarić house complex, has a Romanesque rosette on the western face. Subsequently a chapel bearing the same name was built next to the church.
- St Michael’s Church (dating from 1735) is a Renaissance church located beneath the Grubišići hamlet.
- The Church of St Nikola Tavelić (dating from 1989) is the newest church located next to the highway in Kraj.
Today Tučepi is famous as a tourist destination both in Croatia and in Europe. Apart from hotels, villas, restaurants and bars, Tučepi offers a small harbour, and a yacht and small boat quay with 50 berths for rent.